Pages

Thursday, July 7, 2011

whole wheat cheese crackers



It turns out I love cheese...any kind really. Lately I find myself looking for cheez-its everytime I am in the grocery store, which is about twice a week. Which means I am gobbling up a whole box in 3 days. No regrets, except it has started show on my waist. This week I was disappointed to find no cheez-its with parmesan cheese. Those are my favorites. So I decided to bake some of my own. I went on a cracker recipe hunt on the internet and settled for the one from smitten kitchen. It was a recipe for goldfish crackers and whole wheat kind too. Healthy and delicious!!! I did it exactly like she says, except I added Parmesan to the party and skipped the onion powder. Oh and I don't have a food processor, so added a little elbow grease as well. They turned out delicious...a little softer than I would I have liked, but the crunch was still there.


I am not the baking kind, especially of the tiny snacks that I can devour within minutes of making them. The effort seems to be far more than the time it takes for me to finish them. But these were different. They are rich and satisfying. Although I have to say, they didn't taste like cheez-its nor like goldfish. But they were still really tasty. Next time I might attempt to go full Parmesan instead.



Whole Wheat Cheese Crackers
adapted from smitten kitchen

I got about 150 small crackers. You could of course use the traditional cheez-it square shape or the goldfish. I used the back of a little circular cup I had and then halved them to give me little half circles. 

1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup all purpose flour
1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
1/4 teaspoon salt

Preheat oven at 350 degrees and mix all ingredients together into a ball (if you have a food processor, it will be easir for you). If you are like me, then cut the butter into tiny cubes to make mixing by hand easier. I had a very soft dough, so I stuck mine in the refrigerator for 30mins. If you don't then you can skip this step.

Flour the rolling surface as well as the rolling pin. Roll the dough to about 1/8 inch thickness. Form shapes using whatever cutters you have. Transfer the crackers to a cookie sheet. No need to grease the cookie sheet. Bake the crackers for 15 minutes, or until they start to brown at the edges. Allow the crackers to cool down before gulping them down.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...