Pages

Tuesday, August 9, 2011

saffron and pistachio ice cream (without machine)


Summer is absolutely here, the heat is going crazy. Temperatures were flirting around 3 figures before cooling off slightly. And with the heat in the suicidal range, nothing else comes to mind except icecream. And not just any kind...my favorite since childhood, saffron and pistachio ice cream.  As a kid I could eat any ice cream as a meal (I still can, I think), but this was my favorite, with butterscotch a close second. My grandma always stacked these in the freezer as a bribe and it worked quite well. "If you finish you homework by 6pm, I will give you some ice cream'. It was done before 5. The motivation was immense. 

With lack of my favorite flavors in the supermarkets, I had to take things in my own hands. And boy did I ever...with this fantastic 3 ingredient (few more for flavors), no ice cream maker needed deliciously creamy Ice cream. Ya heard!



I came across this recipe on Kevin & Amanda's lovely site. I have been looking for easy to make ice-cream without the maker for so long. This is so delicious, you wouldn't believe it was done within 5 minutes. It was even more delicious than I remembered...rich, creamy, just divine. Next time I might get a bit more adventurous and add some fruit, like papaya with pine nuts. Yum!!

Saffron and Pistachio Ice-Cream
Adapted from Kevin & Amanda

2 cups Heavy Cream
1 can Sweetened Condensed Milk
1/2 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
1/2 teaspoon Saffron strands
handful of pistachio, shelled and broken into tiny pieces
small pinch of cardamom powder (optional)

Reserve 2 tablespoons of heavy cream in a small bowl and add the saffron strands. Let this stand for 10-15 minutes till the cream turns the color of saffron.

In a large bowl whip the heavy cream till stiff peaks. Add condensed milk, vanilla extract,  cardamom powder, saffron cream and pistachios. Stir well till everything is mixed thoroughly

Pour in a covered container and freeze for 5-6 hours or till firm. Store the left overs if any, in the freezer.
How easy is that!!!

6 comments:

  1. Yum!! Definitely trying this!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking sooooo delicious......bookmarked .

    alpana
    http://smart-snacks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks guys!! The photo does not do justice to how good it actually looked and tasted. couldn't stop it from melting while I tried to take a picture :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow that's a wonderful recipe dear!!!
    first time to your space. Highly impressed with the inviting ice cream. happy to follow you. Wish to see you in my followers list.
    looks yumm!!!!
    Good Food Recipes
    Food Blog News

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Melt in the mouth ice cream, so rich and creamy, absolutely delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum, my kind of recipe..not a veggie in sight!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...